Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, NYC, Garden City, Nassau & Suffolk County NY Attorneys
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Workers Compensation
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Ladder & Scaffold Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Building & Sidewalk Accidents
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Birth Injury
- DWI Defense
- Hit & Run Accidents
- Swimming Pool Injuries
- Boating Accidents
- Dog Bite & Animal Attacks
- Brain and Head Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Swimming Pool Injuries in New York
Slips and Falls | Diving Injuries | Inadequate Fencing | Drowning Accidents | Defective or Broken Pool Drains
During hot summer weather, diving or jumping into a swimming pool is a great way to cool off and have fun. In fact, swimming is a form of recreation and exercise that many New Yorkers enjoy. However, if owners fail to maintain or keep a pool safe, swimmers are often at risk for injuries. Serious swimming pool injuries can occur as a result of slip and fall, diving or defective or broken pool drains. In addition, drowning or near drowning accidents are also common. If you or a loved one is seriously injured at a swimming pool, an experienced accident attorney can determine whether the property owner can be held accountable for your injuries.
When Are Swimming Pool Accidents Subject to Legal Action?
To bring a case, an attorney must prove that the property owner was negligent. The lawyer must also show that due to the owner’s negligence, the resulting unsafe conditions caused the client to suffer a serious injury. Swimming pool accidents and injuries fall under the legal category of premises liability.
Swimming pool owners are responsible for putting safety measures in place. They are also responsible for regular maintenance of the pool and pool equipment and for ensuring adequate supervision of swimmers.
When swimming pool injuries occur, attorneys can thoroughly investigate the accident. They evaluate whether there was any negligence on the part of the property owner. They also gather facts and information to determine the extent of damages resulting from an injury. A lawsuit may seek compensation for medical bills, hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation and the need for future surgeries or ongoing medication and caregiving.
Liable Parties in Swimming Pool Injuries Cases
- Pool Owners. Whether a city, a municipality or a private company owns the pool, upkeep of the pool is the owner’s responsibility. If cracked tiles or uneven surfaces make the surfaces surrounding the pool a hazard, the injured party could hold the owner responsible.
- Lifeguards at Pools. Lifeguards on duty must stay alert and rescue anyone who starts drowning or who appears to be in trouble when swimming. A distracted lifeguard, who is not paying attention, or a lifeguard without proper certification to do the job can put swimmers at risk. Pool owners are ultimately responsible for the actions of their employees.
- Defective or Improperly Maintained Pool Drains. When pool drains are defective or are improperly maintained, the drain can cause serious injury or death to swimmers. Drains have tremendous suction capabilities, and if the covers are not secure, it puts swimmers at risk.
Protect Your Rights
If a loved one has been injured or died in a swimming pool accident, speak with an experienced swimming pool injuries attorney.
At Sackstein Sackstein & Lee, LLP , we offer a free initial consultation to discuss whether grounds exist for pursuing a lawsuit.
Call us toll free at 888.519.6400, or contact us in Garden City at 516.248.2234, or in Flushing-Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx at 718.539.3100. You can also fill in our contact form, and we will get in touch with you.
We know you take your injury seriously, and so do we.
“Our Family Helping Yours Since 1952”
A+ Rating with Better Business Bureau