Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, NYC, Garden City, Nassau & Suffolk County NY Attorneys
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Workers Compensation
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Ladder & Scaffold Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Building & Sidewalk Accidents
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Birth Injury
- DWI Defense
- Hit & Run Accidents
- Swimming Pool Injuries
- Boating Accidents
- Dog Bite & Animal Attacks
- Brain and Head Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers
Brooklyn Slip and Fall Attorney
Also Serving Clients in the Bronx, Flushing, Queens and Long Island
Slips, trips and falls can be serious accidents that require medical treatment and hospitalization. When a dangerous property condition exists and the owner’s negligence causes an accidental slip that results in injury, you may have grounds to take legal action. Our attorneys at Sackstein Sackstein & Lee, LLP can help you recover compensation to deal with medical expenses, lost income and disability, whether temporary or permanent, resulting from the fall injury.
Slips, Trips and Falls Statistics
Slips, trips and falls statistics alert anyone who slipped and fell that this type of accidental injury is not just their problem. It is an issue that concerns many other people as well, including people from all walks of life.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2014 alone:
- Older Americans experienced 29 million falls and seven million injuries.
- Fall injuries drove Medicare costs to $31 billion.
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury (such as broken bones or a head injury).
- Each year 2.8 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- More than 800,000 patients every year must be hospitalized due to fall injuries.
- The most common injuries are hip fractures and head injuries.
The CDC cautions that an older person who slips and falls should see a medical practitioner immediately to ensure they have not suffered from a brain injury. More brain injuries are caused by falls than any other type of accident.
When Is a Property Owner Liable?
If your trip and fall lawyer can show that a property owner was negligent, then liability for the accident can often be established. Property owners must take reasonable care to keep their property maintained so no dangerous conditions exist. Questions to ask include whether the property owner knew about the hazard or whether enough time had gone by that the owner should have known about it.
When other people have also fallen and been injured because of the same hazard, it is often an indication of negligence.
Types of Dangerous Conditions
Examples of dangerous conditions that cause slips, trips and falls include:
- Torn or worn spots in a carpet
- Poorly lit stairwells
- Parking lots with potholes or deteriorated surfaces
- Unstable or broken stairways or balcony railings
- Uneven or cracked sidewalks
- An object placed or left on the ground or floor (electrical cords or tools)
- Wet floors that are not roped off or that lack warning signs
- Spilled liquids or produce that make floors slippery
- Icy sidewalks or walkways
- Uneven or worn steps
Rely on Our Experience
If you suffered a serious injury and suspect someone else is responsible for unsafe property conditions, get a legal opinion. We offer a free consultation to determine whether you have a slip and fall case. Many factors go into proving negligence. If grounds for negligence exist, our Brooklyn or Bronx slip and fall attorney will use our investigative team to gather evidence and pursue compensation on your behalf.
It is vital to act quickly while the opportunity to gather evidence still exists. Also, the law has time limitations for taking legal action.
Call us toll free at 888.519.6400, or contact us in Garden City at 516.248.2234, or in Flushing-Queens at 718.539.3100. You can also fill in our contact form, and we will get in touch with you.
We know you take your injury seriously, and so do we.
Find out how we can help.