100% Free Consultation
100% Free Consultation

Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, NYC, Garden City, Nassau & Suffolk County NY Attorneys

Practice Areas

Do You Have Questions about New York Workers Compensation?

What's the first thing you should do if injured in a work related accident?

Aside from getting immediate medical attention for a severe injury, you must notify your employer about the accident. According to the New York Workers' Compensation Board, you must submit a written notification that explains how you were injured or became ill (if a work-related illness). You must do this within 30 days of the injury or illness. Do not send a text. Notify your employer by written letter or email.

Should you tell your medical provider that your injury was work related?

Yes. It is important to inform your doctor that your injury or illness is work-related. Also, you should provide the name of your employer’s workers compensation insurer. If you don’t know the name, you can ask your employer. Or, you can contact the Workers Compensation Board and request the insurer’s name. Your medical provider will file medical treatment reports with the insurer and the Workers Compensation Board.

What if you caused your own injury? Can you still collect workers compensation?

In most circumstances, yes you can. Workers compensation does not hold parties responsible or determine who was at fault. It pays for medical expenses and lost wages on a no-fault basis. However, if you were taking drugs or drinking on the job, or if you intentionally injured yourself, workers comp would not cover your injuries.

If you’re injured while on a work break or meal break does workers comp cover the injury?

If you are still on company premises when injured, whether taking a break or eating a meal, workers comp should cover your injury. In addition, as long as you are involved in work related activity, such as traveling or doing a work errand, workers compensation should cover the claim.

Under what circumstances could your workers comp claim be denied?

Reasons the Workers Compensation Board may deny a claim include:

Get all your questions about New York workers compensation answered

Contact a New York workers comp lawyer. Schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys at Sackstein, Sackstein & Lee, LLP. We can discuss your claim and explain how we can help.

Call us toll free at 888.519.6400, or contact us in Garden City at 516.248.2234, or in Flushing-Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx at 718.539.3100. You can also fill in our contact form, and we will get in touch with you.

We know you take your injury seriously, and so do we.

Find out how we can help.

“Our Family Helping Yours Since 1952”


A+ Rating with Better Business Bureau
Super Lawyers

With offices throughout New York City and Long Island the personal injury attorneys at Sackstein Sackstein & Lee, LLP, assist accident victims throughout New York, including the cities of Manhattan (NYC), Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Flushing, Bayside, College Point, Jamaica, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Corona, Long Island City, Elmont, Forest Hills, Ozone Park, Springfield Gardens, Rosedale, Laurelton, Hollis, Ridgewood, Nassau, Hempstead, Elmont, Mineola, Freeport, Garden City, Uniondale, Westbury, Roosevelt, East Meadow, Levittown, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Williston Park, Valley Stream, as well as the communities in and around Nassau County and Suffolk County.


[image-caption-hover-pro id="3"]

(718) 539-3100

[image-caption-hover-pro id="2"]

(646) 741-3632

[image-caption-hover-pro id="1"]

(516) 248-2234

[image-caption-hover-pro id="4"]

(646) 495-9760

[wonderplugin_carousel id="1"]
[wonderplugin_carousel id="2"]


Copyright © 2024 Sackstein Sackstein & Lee, LLP All Rights Reserved Powered By Gravimetric.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram