Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, NYC, Garden City, Nassau & Suffolk County NY Attorneys
Our Practice Areas
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Workers Compensation
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Ladder & Scaffold Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Building & Sidewalk Accidents
- Pedestrian & Bicycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Birth Injury
- DWI Defense
- Hit & Run Accidents
- Swimming Pool Injuries
- Boating Accidents
- Dog Bite & Animal Attacks
- Brain and Head Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Boating Accidents in New York
NY Jet Ski®, WaveRunner®, Motorboat and Watercraft Accidents
Boating accidents often involve the use of personal watercraft (PWC), such as Jet Skis and WaveRunners, which have become increasingly popular in New York.
The State of New York abounds in waterways, lakes and rivers with more than 7,600 freshwater lakes, ponds and reservoirs, and over 70,000 miles of rivers and streams according to the NY Department of Environmental Conservation. It is no wonder that recreational water sports have gained such popularity.
Even so, it is wise to be aware of the potential dangers and understand what types of actions can lead to accidents.
Boating Accident Statistics
US Coast Guard Statistics for 2017 indicated the following:
- Alcohol was the leading factor in 19 percent of watercraft deaths
- Of all watercraft accident victim fatalities, 76 percent drowned
- An estimated 84.5 percent of those who drowned were not wearing life jackets
- Operators had not received boating safety instruction in 81 percent of the watercraft deaths
- Personal watercrafts (Jet Skis, WaveRunners, etc.) are involved in 36 percent of all boating injuries
- Personal watercraft collisions cause more injuries and deaths than any other type of PWC accident
If you were involved in a boating accident, and you suspect it was caused by someone else’s negligence, consult with an experienced lawyer. Get a legal opinion as soon as possible.
What Types of Negligence Can Lead to Boating Accidents?
Negligence refers to action or inaction that fails to demonstrate the level of care that a prudent person would exercise under the same circumstances. Careless or irresponsible actions are negligent. Reckless actions are also negligent; however, they infer a willful disregard for safety, which from a legal perspective is more serious than a mere ignorance of safety precautions.
You may have grounds for a lawsuit if your attorney discovers:
- The boat or PWC operator had no instruction/training for operating the craft
- A collision occurred with other boats or crafts
- The other party failed to provide lifejackets and other basic water safety equipment to passengers
- The craft occupancy exceeded the recommended number of passengers
- The driver exceeded the speed limits
- The driver was intoxicated or on drugs
Find Out How Our Experienced Boating Accident Lawyers Can Help
As a client of Sackstein Sackstein & Lee, LLP, you can benefit from the decades of experience our attorneys have acquired handling personal injury cases. We have the resources available to thoroughly investigate an accident, and we devise effective case strategies to obtain compensation on behalf of our clients. We will guide you through the legal system, protect your interests, deal with insurance companies, and if necessary take your case to trial. Our firm has achieved many notable case results.
Call us toll free at 888.519.6400, or contact us in Garden City at 516.248.2234, or in Flushing-Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx at 718.539.3100. You can also fill in our contact form, and we will get in touch with you.